London Public Library
Library Space is Community Place! LPL strengthens people and neighbourhoods by creating connections that enrich lives, inspire discovery, foster creativity, and expand possibilities.
With over 1 million titles in our collection and 350 public terminals, the London Public Library provides a variety of important services and programs to over 2.9 million people annually.
Come join the Library team as our new Permanent Full Time:
INTEGRATED LIBRARY SYSTEM (ILS) SOLUTIONS SPECIALIST
Reporting to the Director, Information Technology Services, the ILS Solutions Specialist contributes to the accomplishment of the London Public Library’s vision, mission and strategic plan by managing, planning, developing/enhancing, implementing, supporting and evaluating the system-wide ILS in order to meet the London Public Library’s technology plan and electronic information needs. They serve as the system authority on the ILS and provide leadership, expertise and support to the Library team. The ILS Solutions Specialist may manage technology projects established to research, recommend, implement and evaluate workflow and system solutions including new system features, modules and products. Additionally, they are responsible for the OPAC interface and all ILS integrations with the Library website.
1. ILS System Development & Management
• Researches, plans, develops, implements and evaluates advanced system functionality, enhancements, new features, modules and products, and interface with other software used by Library, including patron authentication with digital resources
• Submits budget estimates and other reports relating to the ILS.
• Coordinates the maintenance / administration of ILS modules by Library staff using ILS in their daily work, with a particular focus on supporting Lending Services and Collections tasks.
• Supports Library staff in conducting workflow analysis and develops, implements and evaluates system solutions that will improve workflow and internal and external customer service.
• Organizes daily routine and new peripheral requirements/set-ups, software upgrade requirements, etc. relating to ILS for ITS staff.
• Ensures high standard of system and database quality, consistency, integrity, effectiveness and efficiency.
• Communicates ILS developments, writes instructional documents, procedures and guides to help staff with daily tasks using the ILS and for ILS administrative use.
• Administers OPAC including catalogue maintenance and configuration, problem resolution and format mapping
• Evaluates system performance and makes recommendations to the Director, Information Technology Services regarding upgrades.
• Supports the Promotion of new features, modules, products of ILS to staff, public, professional associations and user groups.
• Develops and builds mutually beneficial partnerships with other libraries and user groups as related to the ILS.
2. ILS Maintenance
• Maintains ILS troubleshooting database.
• Diagnoses, analyzes and solves hardware, software and application problems.
• Contacts software vendors, manufacturers, support contractors and suppliers as needed to diagnose, analyze and solve ILS and related network and peripheral equipment problems.
• Contacts ILS application vendors to resolve problems Performs application software upgrades.
• Contacts appropriate vendors developing interfaces and ftp connections with ILS.
• Designs, develops, writes and maintains rules, code tables, system options, HTML files and macros.
• Advises and instructs Library staff in day-to-day operation of ILS modules and features, with a specific focus on advanced ILS modules, such as Cataloging, Acquisitions, Serials, and Administration.
• Gathers and analyzes statistical information from the ILS system. Runs annual year end processes to gather statistical data.
3. Technical Support / Customer Service
• Provides timely software support to employees and Library users via telephone, e-mail, ticketing system or onsite in response to requests, problems, questions, etc. relating to the ILS and other requests.
• Advises and instructs Library staff in day-to-day operation of ILS modules and features.
• Supports Library staff, project teams and committees on projects and new initiatives, identifying appropriate solutions and making recommendations related to the ILS.
• Researches current and emerging technologies and tests available technologies relating to ILS where applicable. Remains current with trends in technology through the use of training software, reading professional literature, continuing education, and conference attendance to enable LPL to be an early adapter of key and appropriate ideas relating to the ILS. Shares information learned with supervisor and appropriate staff.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Advanced Study in Technology Applications or a closely related field is required
• A Master’s Degree in library science is desired, but not required.
• Sierra Systems Coordinator/Administrator Certification or Sierra Technical Services Coordinator / Administrator Certification is preferred
• A minimum three to five years of progressively responsible experience performing systems administration with a minimum of two years of automated information library systems experience in a public library is required.
• Considerable experience working with enterprise library systems or related products is required.
• Significant scripting experience using advanced techniques, along with experience with database design, reporting, and management and client reporting applications is required.
• Expert knowledge, demonstrated ability managing an ILS, including knowledge of file maintenance, backup, reporting and statistical gathering functions.
• Knowledge of library and technology standards (MARC21, EDI, AACR, EDIFACT, HTTP, JAVA, etc.)
• Thorough knowledge of ILS software with demonstrated ability to perform operational process analysis and translate into systems requirements and specifications is required. Must be able to identify and mitigate technology risk.
• Evidence of advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to construct logical and innovative solutions to complex technical problems is required.
• Excellent project management skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance priorities and meet deadlines.
• A self-starter with an intellectual curiosity to investigate new solutions on their own with a bias for action, creativity, innovation and execution in a rapidly changing environment.
• Good interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment.
• Customer service focus.
• Familiarly with current library trends, standards and emerging technologies from ILS and product support vendors an asset.
• Demonstrated experience in the use of technology to improve access to library services and materials an asset.
• Valid driver’s license preferred.
Band 8 - $32.846 to $41.962 per hour.
Candidates are requested to submit a detailed resume outlining experience and qualifications by March 17, 2023 to: email@example.com
Please visit our website at: http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/
No phone calls please. We advise that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The London Public Library will provide accommodation to applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes upon request consistent with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the AODA regulations.
Applicants for employment, who have been provided with a conditional offer of employment will be asked to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, or provide a written attestation of a medical reason(s) or Ontario Human Rights Code reason(s) for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Applicants for employment, who have been provided with a conditional offer of employment will be asked to provide, at his or her own expense, a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check and/or Police Information Check, as applicable.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those invited for an interview will be acknowledged. Any personal information submitted will be managed in accordance with the requirements of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only to determine eligibility for employment.
We are an equal opportunity employer.